Registering your security information will allow you to reset your password and secure your sign in with Multi-Factor Authentication, if active on your account.
We recommend that you setup all sign in methods available to you, so that you don't get locked out of your account.
1. Register your details and setup your account here or when you first sign into your email account.
You will see the following Sign in screen.
2. Staff: enter your username (usually your staff number) followed by @derby.ac.uk
Students, please view this guide.
3. Enter your usual password, then click Sign in;
4. The easiest and most secure way to setup MFA is with Microsoft Authenticator, an app for your smartphone. However, if you wish to use a text message or phone call, click “I want to set up a different method”. The text message, will contain a six-digit code, or the automated phone call may ask you to press the # key on your phone (the folks in the USA call this the pound button).
On your phone, install the 'Microsoft Authenticator' app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Make sure you allow access to the camera and allow notifications.
5. Click ‘next’:
6. On your phone, select the '+' to add a 'Work or school account'. This will bring up the 'Scan QR code' screen, using your camera to scan the QR code on your computer.
7. After a few seconds, the notification will be approved.
8. You're all set. However, before you go, it's worth addition additional sign in methods, so that you are not locked out of your account. These include your mobile phone number and office phone.
To do this, visit Staff iD, | click on your initials / photo (top right) | View account | Security info
Once here, please setup as many options as you can, by selecting 'Add method', the 1st arrow above. Please make sure that Office phone is selected so that you can get into your account when at work, for example if you need to update your mobile phone number.
Once setup, you can change the default option.
You can add a personal email address for resetting your password and a message will be sent to that address to verify that it belongs to you: