Please note that this guide is being updated and may not fully reflect some of the screens you'll see on your device. If you need assistance with enrolling your new work Apple device please contact the IT Service Centre
Use these instructions to set up a new Apple iOS university-owned device. By enrolling the device in mobile management you can benefit from the advantages management brings and be confident that IT Services can support and assist you in your use of the device on and off site.
- The device being enrolled has been factory reset and is waiting at the setup wizard
- The mobile device already has access to the internet either via wireless or mobile data connections. If you do not have internet access already please connect to a data source or contact the IT Service Centre for assistance.
This guide covers the following steps that will get your device enrolled in our management system:
Follow the iOS Setup Wizard
Upon receiving a new work device you'll need to follow the normal Apple setup wizard. This will guide you through configuring your phone and joining it to our management system automatically.
- From the "Hello" welcome screen press the Home button to begin
- Select your preferred language
- Select United Kingdom as your country / region
- If prompted, tap Set Up Manually on the Quick Start page
- When prompted to select a wireless network you can either:
- Tap Use Mobile Connection if the device has a sim card data connection such as 4G
- Join eduroam if the device does not have an alternate data connection available
If you need assistance connecting to Eduroam you can view our guide for more information.
- Once connected to the internet your device will activate and prompt you to enable Remote Management, tap Next to continue
- Tap Next
- When prompted, create a passcode to protect your phone and tap Next
- Tap Enable Location Services
- Tap Get Started
Register Your Work Device
Once the setup wizard completes you'll notice your phone or tablet automatically start to download and install the Microsoft Company Portal application. Your phone will not be usable until this download completes.
Once Company Portal has downloaded it will automatically launch...
- Enter your University of Derby username and tap Next
Note: your username should be followed by either @derby.ac.uk. For example:
- Enter your password and tap Sign In
- If you're prompted to complete the setup for Multi-Factor Authentication follow the wizard to enable this
- Tap Begin and Wait for the "Get your device managed" option to complete
- Tap Continue
- Tap Done
- You can now close the Company Portal app and use your device is ready for use
Activate your Work Email
Email is a protected resource and can only be accessed on managed and compliant devices. You may access your work email using either the built-in Apple Mail app or the Microsoft Outlook app. The instructions below detail the steps for both of these:
Apple Mail App
- Open the iOS Email App
If prompted, confirm your email password and verify your account with Multi-Factor Authentication.
- You may need to accept the permissions required to access your account:
- Open the iOS Comp Portal app
- Tap View All Apps
- Tap Microsoft Outlook
- Tap Install
- Return to the Home Screen and wait for Outlook to install
- Once installed, tap Outlook to open the app