Use these instructions to set up a new Apple iOS university-owned device. By enrolling the device in mobile management, you can benefit from the advantages management brings and be confident that Digital Solutions & Services can support and assist you in your use of the device on and off site.
- The device being enrolled has been factory reset and is waiting at the setup wizard
- The mobile device already has access to the internet either via wireless or mobile data connections. If you do not have internet access already please connect to a data source or contact the IT Service Centre for assistance.
This guide covers the following steps that will get your device enrolled in our management system:
Follow the iOS Setup Assistant
Upon receiving a new work iOS device, you'll need to complete steps guided by Apple setup assistant. This will guide you through configuring your phone and joining it to our management system automatically.
1. From the "Hello" welcome screen press the Home button or Swipe Up to begin.
2. Select English as language
3. Select United Kingdom as country / region
4. If prompted, tap Set Up Manually on the Quick Start page
5. When prompted to select a wireless network you can either:
- Tap Use Mobile Connection if the device has a sim card data connection such as 4G
- Join eduroam if the device does not have an alternate data connection available.
6. Once connected to the Internet your device will activate
7. After your device has been activated successfully, you will be guide through Remote Management setup. Tap Next to begin
8. You will be prompted to authenticate using your University online account. At Sign in screen, enter your username using formatting as highlighted on the screenshot below: 78XXXXX@derby.ac.uk and click Next to continue.
9. Enter your account password. If you have setup app/password-less or multi-factor authentication, you might be prompted to complete additional steps as demonstrated on the following screens:
Multi-factor Authentication Request:
App sign in or password-less login:
10. Tick the box "Don't show this again" and select Yes to complete your authentication.
11. Once you have successfully authenticated your device, Remote Management will install configuration profile and other important settings to enrol your device into our Mobile Device Management (MDM) system.
NOTE: this screen will dismiss automatically once complete. Please be patient.
12. You will be prompted to create a device passcode. This is a minimum of 6 digits. Enter your desired pin combination, then tap Next.
NOTE: You will be required to enter the PIN one more time to confirm before proceeding:
13. Allow access to Location services when prompted:
NOTE: If you Disable Location services, you will not be able to locate your work device should you lose it. Our MDM service does not track your device, however we do use Location services to help you locate it in an event of loss and set correct date, time and global time zone settings.
14. Tap Get started to dismiss Apple Setup Assistant and continue to Home Screen
Register Your Work Device for Compliance
It is essential that you register your device for compliance evaluation so that you can then access your emails, contacts, calendars, notes, Teams, Outlook and other Microsoft 365 apps and services. Follow the steps below to authenticate and register your device for compliance.
1. Observe Microsoft Company Portal App Automatic Download and Install
Once the setup wizard completes you'll notice your phone or tablet automatically start to download and install the Microsoft Company Portal app.
NOTE: Please note that the download and installation might take a moment, please remain patient.
2. Open Company Portal by tapping the icon on the Home Screen
3. Tap Sign In button
4. Enter your University of Derby username and tap Next
NOTE: your username should be followed by either @derby.ac.uk. For example:
5. Enter your password and tap Sign In
NOTE: If you're prompted to complete the setup for Multi-Factor Authentication follow the wizard to enable this.
6. Allow Company Portal to Deliver Notifications
7. Tap Begin and Wait for the setup and device check to finish
Getting your device managed:
Device checking for compliance status:
8. Tap Done
NOTE: You can now close the Company Portal app and use your device.
Activate your Work Email
Email is a protected resource and can only be accessed on managed and compliant devices. You may access your work email using either the built-in Apple Mail app or the Microsoft Outlook app. The instructions below detail the steps for both of these:
Apple Mail App
You might have already been prompted to setup your Email account after completing the setup assistant wizard. Notification requiring you to action email activation appears as illustrated below:
1. Tap Edit Settings to continue:
2. After tapping Edit Settings, iPhone Settings app will launch and should automatically take you to your Email account settings section and prompt for you to finish email activation by confirming your email password and verify your account with Multi-Factor Authentication.
3. After you have enter your password and verified login with Multi-Factor Authentication prompt, you will need to confirm the use of your device certificate to complete your email activation as illustrated below. Tap Continue to finish email activation:
NOTE: After successful activation of your email profile, you can further customise what data is synced to your device by accessing Email Accounts via iPhone Settings App -> Email -> Accounts -> UoD Email.
In this section of settings, you can select parts of Exchange online account to sync with respective application on the device and modify amount of days worth of data to sync. See screenshot below for details:
You don't have to use native Apple Mail app for delivery of your Microsoft 365 Exchange Online account content. You can optionally choose to use Microsoft Outlook as your preferred client for your online content. However if you do choose to use Outlook, we recommend that you disable syncing of respective content from within your Email Accounts section of iPhone settings accordingly; otherwise you will receive notifications from both Apple Mail and Microsoft Outlook apps at the same time.
Use the instructions below to acquire Microsoft Outlook app on your work device:
- Open the iOS Comp Portal app
- Tap View All Apps
- Tap Microsoft Outlook
- Tap Install
- Return to the Home Screen and wait for Outlook to install
- Once installed, tap Outlook to open the app and customise your experience accordingly.