Use these instructions to set up a new Windows Mobile university-owned device. By enrolling the device in mobile management you can benefit from the advantages management brings and be confident that IT Services can support you in your use of the device on and off site.
- The device being enrolled has been factory reset and is waiting at the setup wizard
- The mobile device already has access to the internet either via wireless or mobile data connections. If you do not have internet access already please connect to a data source or contact the IT Service Centre for assistance.
This guide covers the following steps that will get your device enrolled in our management system:
Follow the Windows Out of Box Experience
Upon receiving a new work device you'll need to follow the normal Microsoft Windows Out of Box Experience wizard. This will guide you through configuring your phone and joining it to our management system automatically.
- On the welcome screen select English (United Kingdom) and then tap Next
- Verify the country / region is correct and tap Next
- Tap Accept on the 'legal stuff'
- If your device has a sim card and you're prompted to specify a mobile network select Vodafone UK Contract and then tap Next
- Verify the date and time are correct, if not tap each option and set these as necessary. Tap Next when everything is correct
- When prompted to connect to wireless you can either:
- Tap Skip to use the Mobile Connection such as 4G if there is a sim card installed
- Join eduroam if the device does not have an alternate data connection available
If you need assistance connecting to Eduroam you can view our guide for more information.
- Tap Accept to use the default settings
- On the who owns this device screen tap Set up for work
- Tap Next on the 'what happens next' screen
- Enter your username and tap Next
Note: your username should be followed by either @derby.ac.uk. For example:
- Enter your password and tap Sign In
- When prompted, tap Set up PIN to create your pin number
- The next step will require you to use multi-factor authentication to verify your identity. If you have already set this up you can skip to point A. If you haven't yet done this skip to point B.
- If there's already a mobile phone number associated with your user account you'll receive a confirmation code via text message. Enter the number received and tap Next
- The steps below describe the multi-factor authentication setup procedure:
- Tap Set it up now to start
- Use the drop down list to choose a verification method and tap Next
- Enter the phone number you want to use for verification
Note: we recommend you use a personal mobile number. This will only be used by Microsoft to verify your identity and will not be shared with anyone else within the University or external.
If you'd rather not use a personal number you may also choose to use your work desk phone number. If you do, you will only be able to verify your identity with a call rather than text.
- Once you've verified your number you'll receive a text or call providing a pin number. Enter this and tap Next
- Enter a PIN number and confirm this in the box below. Tap OK when you're done
- If you'd like to enable Cortana tap Use Cortana otherwise tap Not Now
- Tap Done to complete your set up
Update the Microsoft Store Apps
Before you can access your email and other features you may need to update the apps that come pre-installed with your Windows mobile device.
Please note that this process can take quite a while for all the app updates to download and install.
- From the home screen, open the Store app
- Tap the menu button on the top left
- Tap Downloads and Updates
- Tap either: Check for Updates or Get Updates
Updates will now download and install automatically. You can continue to use your phone or wait for all the updates to complete before continuing.
Activate your Email
- From the Home Screen open the Outlook app
- After a few second, on the accounts screen, your university email account should appear. Once this happens tap Ready to go
- At the top of the Outlook app expand the warning message that indicates your account needs fixing. Tap Fix Account
- Tap Done to complete your email activation