The video sharing project, led by Learning Enhancement, aims to address the University’s needs surrounding the use of video for teaching learning and assessment. In October 2014 the University acquired a solution called Kaltura, which includes rich integration into Course Resources (Blackboard) and a video sharing portal called Media Space.
Project Aims and Objectives
- Provision a secure video sharing platform to support a wide range of teaching and learning activities, for students and staff in time for Semester 1 AY 15/16.
- Safe-guard and manage the University’s video assets and allow them to be searched and shared efficiently in a secure, targeted way through full integration with Course Resources (Blackboard)
- Encourage greater and appropriate use of video through sustained staff development, to enhance teaching and learning practices.
- Devolve publishing privileges to the teaching and learning community, via a staff development process.
Pilot Phase 1 (Complete)
The pilot phase of the project is being run during Semester 2 AY 14/15, in which a limited number of academic staff will be trialling the Kaltura tools integrated in Course Resources. These members of staff will be supported directly by the Learning Enhancement’s Media Team located in B114 (KR) until September 2015.
Additional feature(s) shall be introduced as part of a limited pilot managed by LE.
Current features in pilot are:
- CaptureSpace Lite - a desktop tool with Course Resources integration.
The Roadmap is managed by LE.
All Students and Staff have access to Kaltura (via Course Resources) and MediaSpace (via Shibboleth authentication).
Any additional requests (for example elevated access) will require email approval from one of the following before Business Systems can process the request:
John Hill <J.Hill3@derby.ac.uk>
Jon Walmsley <J.Walmsley@derby.ac.uk>
Claire Gardener <C.Gardener@derby.ac.uk>
For all other enquiries or support calls relating to Kaltura, please contact (or refer customer) to the Learning Enhancement Team:
Jon Walmsley - email@example.com - (x1249)
Matt Howcroft - firstname.lastname@example.org - (x1251)
Rob Higson - email@example.com - (x2899)