To provide access to specialist software whilst working from home, students will be given access to a remote access platform called 'VMware Horizon'. This platform will allow you to to have remote access to a computer within a computer lab, allowing you to use the computer remotely as if you were sat in front of it.
To access this platform - in a web browser, go to:
When the page loads, you will be presented with a choice between downloading and installing the "VMWare Horizon Client" or to access via the HTML view (without having to install anything).
You can use either of these methods, however it is recommended to install the VMWare Horizon Client for increased performance and features. Details on how to access both of these methods is below.
VMware Horizon Client
If you have been provided with a University laptop for use at home, please jump to the bottom of this guide as the steps to access are a little different.
1. If you choose to install the Horizon client, you will be redirected to the VMware website where you can download this from.
2. The following screen will be displayed, where you can choose to install the client relevant to your computer; such as Windows or Mac. Choose "Go to Downloads" to go to the download page.
3. Open the VMware Horizon Client installed that you just downloaded, to proceed with the install. Choose "Agree & Install" and the install will begin.
4. Once completed, you will have to restart your computer.
5. You can now launch the Horizon client from your Start Menu. Once launched you need to add a server by double-clicking 'Add Server':
6. Enter the web address as shown here - horizon.derby.ac.uk
7. Login with your university account details:
8. You should be presented with all of the labs available to you via Horizon, double-clicking one of these will take you to an available workstation in that lab.
For a guide to which lab best suits your needs please refer here.
Note: Some students will have additional labs available if they need access to desktops in smaller numbers or higher demand.
If you have been provided a University laptop, installing the client will be different for you; follow these steps instead:
1. In your start menu, search for "Software Center" - (note: the American spelling of Centre)
2. When this opens, you should see "VMware Horizon Client" in the list of available software. Click install on this. If you do not see this option, please contact IT Services who will be able to look at this for you.
3. Once the install has completed, you should find "VMware Horizon Client" in your start menu. Read from step 7 of the guide above to continue.
Using HTML Access
If you use the HTML view, you'll be presented with a login box - enter your normal student username and password:
Once you have logged in, you will see the computer labs that you have access to.
Upon choosing the lab, you'll be automatically signed into an available computer and you'll have remote access from within your browser: