Registering your security information will allow you to reset your password and secure your sign in with Multi-Factor Authentication, if active on your account.
We recommend that you setup all sign in methods available to you,
so that you don't get locked out of your account.
You will see the following Sign in screen.
2. Enter your student number followed by @unimail.derby.ac.uk
Buxton and Leek students: this will be 3 letters followed by 8 numbers followed by @unimail.derby.ac.uk for example AAA00000000@unimail.derby.ac.uk.
University of Derby students: this will be 9 numbers beginning with 100 or 019 followed by @unimail.derby.ac.uk for example firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Enter your account password, then click Sign in;
4. The easiest and most secure way to setup your security information is with Microsoft Authenticator, an app for your smartphone. However, if you wish to use a text message or phone call, click “I want to set up a different method”. The text message, will contain a six-digit code, or the automated phone call may ask you to press the # key on your phone (the folks in the USA call this the pound button). There is also an option to use a personal email account.
On your phone, install the 'Microsoft Authenticator' app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Make sure you allow access to the camera and allow notifications.
The app can also be used to secure your key personal accounts, eg social media, email, shopping.
5. Click ‘next’:
6. On your phone, select the '+' to add a 'Work or school account'. This will bring up the 'Scan QR code' screen, using your camera to scan the QR code on your computer.
7. After a few seconds, the notification will be approved.
8. You're all set. However, before you go, it's worth addition additional sign in methods, so that you are not locked out of your account. These include your mobile phone number and office phone.
To do this, visit a Microsoft website, eg UniMail, | click on your initials / photo (top right) | View account | Security info
Once here, please setup as many options as you can, by selecting 'Add method', the 1st arrow above.
Once setup, you can change the default option.
You can add a personal email address for resetting your password and a message will be sent to that address to verify that it belongs to you: