Remote Desktop Connection
RDP for short, is a proprietary protocol developed by Microsoft allowing remote access to computers over a network connection.
Note: If you need to connect to your university workstation from off-campus (via an external network), you will first need to connect via VPN. Please see the guides in the links below that shows how to connect via VPN.
Connect to VPN on a Managed Staff Machine
Connect to VPN via a personal device
- Computer connected to University Network via VPN
- Valid Staff account
- IP/Computer Name
Note: Your user account needs to be added to a Remote Desktop Group on the destination PC.
If you are wishing to connect from a Personal device, please specify the computer name that you are wishing to remote into during the Personal VPN connection request here
If you are wishing to connect from a University device, please email email@example.com with the computer name that you are wishing to Remote into.
1. Start by launching Remote Desktop Connection on your computer. Search for the program using search function built into Start Menu;
2. You will be prompt to enter the name of the computer you are trying to connect. You can also use IP address instead. Enter the details and click Connect;
NOTE: You can find this information by using IT Support app on your work computer before proceeding.
3. Enter your credentials;
NOTE: If the University\ prefix does not show, you will need to select the More choices option, then select Use a different account and enter University\YourUsername and your password;
4. When correct credentials have been used, you may see certificate notification, click Yes to proceed.
5. Lastly, you will be presented by log in screen where you will be required to enter your staff log in details.
If followed carefully, you should now be able to access your work computer through VPN from home.
IT Services - University of Derby
Tel: 01332 591234 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org