Hello applicants, welcome to the University of Derby.
When it's time to set up your account with the University/College, you'll receive an email as shown below with a 3 stage process. The email will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org subject named "It's time to set up your University of Derby account". If you can't find it in your inbox, please check your junk/SPAM folder. It will look like the screenshot provided below.
Please read the information provided in the email and click on the start button to open the Password Creation Centre screens.
Before you start, we would advise you to use a laptop or a PC as you may need to switch browsers (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safari) or use a private window. This is because, if your personal email address is a Microsoft account the browser may log you into that account rather than your University account.
Please see this guide to open a private window when using a laptop/PC:
If you still prefer to use your phone. Below are guides to delete the website data stored on the browser.
Stage 1 - Creating your password
1. Please read the information on the page below and click on the start button.
2. Once you have clicked on the start button, you will navigate to the page below which requires you to verify your DOB. Date should be in dd/mm/yyyy format. If you are using the date picker, please choose the year first, then the relevant month and day. Once you have verified your date of birth, you can navigate to Stage 1 by clicking on the continue button.
3. Next you'll be be asked to create a password. Please read the "Password Requirements" instructions on the right hand side before you create a password. Click on "Set up stage 1" once you have typed in the passwords:
4. Once you have clicked on "Set up stage 1" and have successfully created your password, you will navigate to the page shown below:
This page congratulates you for successfully creating your password. It also informs you of what you will need to do for stage 2 & 3.
Stage 2: Next Steps
University of Derby students: Once enrolment is open, we'll be sending out further information to the email address you applied with, so please check your junk/SPAM folders. For further welcome information please go to https://www.derby.ac.uk/study/support/welcome/
Buxton and Leek College students: You should have all you need in the letter you received through the post. If you have any questions please contact Buxton and Leek College on 0800 0740099.
Stage 3 - Registering for the password management system
During this stage you will add a phone number and email address in to our Self Service Password Reset system. This means that you will never be locked out of your account as you will be able to reset your password and unlock your account using your phone number or email account. Please see the link below for further instructions on how to register your phone number and alternative email address in the system:
When you click on the stage 3 button, you will navigate to the page shown below:
1. Please type in your student ID that is shown at the top of the email invitation.
Buxton and Leek students: this will be 3 letters followed by 8 numbers followed by @unimail.derby.ac.uk for example AAA00000000@unimail.derby.ac.uk.
University of Derby students: this will be 9 numbers beginning with 100 or 019 followed by @unimail.derby.ac.uk for example email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org as shown on the page below.
2. Once you have clicked on the next button, you will navigate to the page below. Here you just need to type in your student number and the password you created then click the "Logon" button.
Buxton and Leek students: this will be 3 letters followed by 8 numbers for example AAA00000000.
University of Derby students: this will be 9 numbers beginning with 100 or 019 for example 100123456 or 019345678 as shown on the page below.
3. Once you are signed in, you'll be able to setup your phone number (landline or mobile) and/or email address in the screen shown below.
4. You'll be asked to verify the details you provide as described in the "Register your details in the password management system" guide which is shown at the start of stage 2. Once you finish the steps please close down the screen and read your stage 3 information as discussed below in the next stage.