Hello and welcome to the University of Derby.
The below article guides you through password creation at the University of Derby, so if this is what you need, you go straight to Section 1.
Alternatively, below are some additional options to help you once you’ve created your password.
- If you have already set up your password, but have either forgotten it or it’s not working as expected, head down to Section 2 or follow the link below
Setting up password reset details
- If you’ve set up your password and want to set up your password reset details, head to Section 2 or follow the below link
Where can I go to find information about my studies e.g. enrolment, induction, timetables etc. ?
For all other queries, regarding enrolment, induction, timetables and anything else connected with your studies, please go to www.derby.ac.uk/your-next-steps to find your pathway and further information, including contact details for your support teams.
Section 1: Setting up your password for the first time
When will I receive my password set up email?
When it's time to set up your account with the University/College, you'll receive an email as shown below. The email will be sent to the email address you supplied when you applied to us (UCAS or through our direct application form). These emails are sent when students are ready to start their study with us. If you're still in the application stage, you won't receive this until you've met all your offer conditions and are ready to start with us.
The email will be sent from email@example.com with a subject line of "It's time to set up your University of Derby password". If you believe that you should have received this email and can't find it in your inbox, please check your junk/SPAM folder before raising this with us. It will look like the screenshot provided below.
If you need to contact your support team about a missing email for password set up, please go to www.derby.ac.uk/your-next-steps and find your pathway to view contact details.
Before you start, we would advise you to use a laptop or a PC as you may need to switch browsers (Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or Safari). Always use a private window (guide detailing how to do this is shown below). This is because, if your personal email address is a Microsoft account, or you already have a O365 log in through your employment, the browser may sign you in to that account rather than your University account.
Please see this guide to open a private window when using a laptop/PC:
If you still prefer to use your phone. Below are guides to delete the website data stored on the browser.
Please read the information provided in the email and click on the start button to open the Password Creation Centre screens.
Creating your password
1. Please read the information on the page below and click on the start button.
2. Once you have clicked on the start button, you will navigate to the page below which requires you to verify your DOB. Please ensure that you use the date picker, please choose the year first, then the relevant month and day. Date should be in dd/mm/yyyy format. Once you have verified your date of birth, you can navigate to continue by clicking on the continue button.
3. Next you'll be be asked to create a password. Please read the "Password Requirements" instructions on the right hand side before you create a password. Click on "Set Password" once you have typed in the passwords:
4. Once you have clicked on "Set Password" and have successfully created your password, you will navigate to www.derby.ac.uk/your-next-steps to find your pathway for next steps information. Please make sure you read the descriptions carefully of which kind of student you are.
if you have any issues setting up your password, please go to www.derby.ac.uk/your-next-steps for contact information for your support teams.
Section 2: Registering for the password management system
During this stage you will add security information to your account. This means that you will never be locked out of your account as you will be able to reset your password and unlock your account using your phone or email account.
If you've never studied with us at the University or through any of our Partnerships Colleges, you'll see that we've added the email you applied with in to the email verification step. You can change this at any time, and/or add a phone number.
Go to the link below, the below log in screen will be shown, follow the instructions below. You'll only have to do this once, unless you want to change them later at some point during your studies.
1. Please type in your University email address that is shown at the top of the email invitation.
Buxton and Leek students: this will be 3 letters followed by 8 numbers followed by @unimail.derby.ac.uk for example AAA00000000@unimail.derby.ac.uk.
University of Derby students: this will be 9 numbers beginning with 100 or 019 followed by @unimail.derby.ac.uk for example firstname.lastname@example.org as shown on the page below.
2. Once you have clicked on the next button, you will then be asked for your password;
3. Once you are signed in, you'll be asked to setup an app on your phone. Other options are available by selecting "I want to set up a different method".
4. You'll be asked to verify the details you provide as described in the "Register your details in the password management system" guide which is shown under the "Register for the Password Management System" section above.
Once you have set your password and have registered your details in the password management system, you can now use your log in for any systems required such as UDo (details below) or Course Resources for induction and study information.
Section 3: Accessing systems with your password
Accessing your student portal (UDo)
To log in to your student portal/UDO (Udo.derby.ac.uk), you'll need to use your Student ID (without @unimail.derby.ac.uk) which is available on the invitation email at the top of this guide as shown in the print screen below.
Buxton and Leek students: this will be 3 letters followed by 8 numbers for example: AAA00000000
University of Derby students: this will be 9 numbers beginning with 100 or 019 for example:1000000000
- Choose the Current Students/Applicants profile from the list provided
- Tiles will be shown when applicable to you. An example of this is our enrolment tile. Please don't worry if someone you know gets a tile before you.
If you have any questions regarding enrolment or any other questions at this stage, please head to www.derby.ac.uk/your-next-steps to view pathway information. For on campus and online students there is a form that you can complete if you wish to submit any questions about your next steps or general information. For this form go to www.derby.ac.uk/welcome
For more information on the enrolment process, please follow the below link
Induction (On Campus and Online students)
Your induction information will be shown in the Course Resources tile once you've logged in to UDo. If the Course Resources tile is not showing, please log out of UDo, clear your cache (guide below), then log back in to UDo.
If your tiles are still not showing as expected, please go to www.derby.ac.uk/your-next-steps for pathway information and contact details for your support team.